FREE SHIPPING* AND RETURNS US CONTINENTAL ON ORDERS OVER $1000 NO OVERSIZED ITEMS
NMT is specialized in fish tags and fish tagging. We invite you to explore their applications to your project. Managers and scientists use fish tags to learn about how fish grow, who catches them, where they go, and how long they live, for example.
Coded Wire Tags (CWT), Visible Implant Elastomer (VIE) and Visible Implant Alpha (VI Alpha) are available. They technology were first developed for salmon, but are now used worldwide with a wide range of fish species, crustaceans, cephalopods, reptiles, amphibians and other animals throughout the world. Projects range from identifying a few animals in the lab to coastwide programs. In the Pacific NW, over 2 billion juvenile salmon have been tagged with Coded Wire Tags. This vast program inspired the development of AutoFish System for clipping and tagging tens of millions of fish per year.
$ 45.00 USD
Visible Implant Elastomer (VIE) is a two-part silicone based material that is mixed immediately before use. VIE tags are injected as a liquid that soon cures into a pliable, biocompatible solid. The tags are implanted beneath transparent or translucent tissue and remain externally visible. In many amphibians, VIE tags are even visible through darkly pigmented skin. VIE tags are widely used for marking an ever-broadening range of finfish, crustaceans, reptiles, amphibians and small mammals. Check some papers below. Extensive information about using VIE is available in the Visible Implant Elastomer Tag Project Manual (English PDF 294KB; Spanish PDF 217KB).
VIE is available in six fluorescent and four non-fluorescent colors. The fluorescent colors are highly visible under ambient light and provide the option of greatly enhanced tag detection when fluoresced with the VI Light.
Proper color selection is a vital part of good experimental design. Your choice depends on how much contrast you need with the background pigmentation, how many different colors you require, and the type of light you will use to fluoresce the tags.
VIE is a medical-grade, two-part silicone based material that is mixed immediately before use and then injected as a liquid that cures into a pliable, biocompatible solid. Immediately after mixing, the user will have between 45 to 60 minutes (in warm environments) and 2 hours (in cold environments) of working time during which the tags can be injected.
For unmixed elastomer, you can store it for one year from the date of purchase in a cupboard, away from sunlight or heat. The unmixed elastomer should never be stored in the freezer.
- Davy, Christina M.;, Suzanne M. Coombes; Amelia K. Whitear & Alistair S. MacKenzie. 2010. Visible Implant Elastomer: A simple, non-harmful method for marking hatchlings turtles. Herpetological Review. 41(4), 442-445.
- Waudby, Helen P.; & Sophie Petit. 2011. Comments on the efficacy and use of Visible Implant Elastomer (VIE) for marking lizards. The South Australian Naturalist 85(1): 7–13.
- Daniel, Jeremy A.; Kevin A. Baker & Kevin R. Bonine. 2006. Retention Rates of Surface and Implantable Marking Methods in the Mediterranean House Gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus), with Notes on Capture Methods and Rates of Skin Shedding. Herpetological Review, 37(3), 319–321.
- Penney, Kistren M.; Kristie D. Gianopulos & Henry R. Mushinsky. 2001. The Visible Implant Elastomer marking technique in use for small reptiles. Herpetological Review, 32(4), 236-241.
- Hutchens, Tan J.; Christopher S. Deperno; Charlotte E. Matthews; Kenneth H. Pollock & David K. Woodward. 2008. Visible Implant Fluorescent Elastomer: A reliable marking alternative for snakes. Herpetological Review, 39(3), 301–303.
- Kondo, Junko & Sharon J. Downes. Using Visible Implant Elastomer to Individually Mark Geckos. School of Botany and Zoology, Australian National University.
Etiqueta Tipo Implante Visible Elastómer (VIE), Tipo de etiqueta elastômero de implante visível
$ 90.00 USD
The VI Alpha Tags are a small, fluorescent tags with an alphanumeric code designed to identify individual animals. VI Alpha Tags are implanted internally but remain externally visible for easy recovery. The new VI Alpha Tags were introduced in 2010.
VI Alpha Tags are available in two sizes: standard (1.2 mm x 2.7 mm), shown in yellow, and large (2 mm x 5 mm), shown in orange. The larger tags are easier to read than the standard tags, and are suitable for larger animals.
Large tags have black lettering on a fluorescent orange background, while standard tags are available with black lettering on a fluorescent orange, red, yellow or green background. Each color has 2,500 different codes. The codes available are the letter-number-number combinations from A00 through Z99 (excluding Q00-Q99).
Tag readability and detection can be enhanced by fluorescing the tags with the VI Light.
VI Alpha Tags are easy to load. Slide the tag into the needle, and snap it off.
Each 100 tags ordered must be the same color, and will have consecutive coding.
Please contact us for advice about applications to particular species.
Etiqueta Tipo Implante Visible (VI Alpha) x 100 u, Implante Visível Tipo Etiqueta
Etiqueta, etiquetas, marca, marcas, tag, fish, fishes, pez, peces, anfibios, reptiles, frogs